Important Information About Hurricane Florence
Attention First Choice VIP Care Plus members and providers:
Due to the impending arrival of Hurricane Florence, South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster has declared a state of emergency for South Carolina. First Choice VIP Care Plus will remain committed to serving the needs of our members and providers. Here is some important information about getting care during the storm.
Offices and staff in unaffected regions, as well as the Nurse Call Line, will be available to assist plan members with urgent needs. The Nurse Call Line is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at 1-855-843-1147 (TTY 711). If you have an emergency, please dial 911.
If you are trying to reach us by phone, you may experience longer than usual hold times. Please know your call is important to us, and we thank you for your patience.
Please note that normal prior authorization requirements for medical services will be relaxed for the duration of the declared state of emergency to ensure member needs are met:
- Members may refill their regular medications earlier than usual to ensure a sufficient supply.
- Members can use out-of-network pharmacies if they cannot access in-network pharmacies, or when traveling to in-network pharmacies is difficult, unsafe, or not practical. Please note that First Choice VIP Care Plus members can access a large network of pharmacies (including CVS, Rite Aid, Target, Walgreens, Wal-Mart, and others) in any state.
- All requests for emergency inpatient hospital admissions, as well as admissions to skilled nursing facilities, nursing facilities, and rehabilitation and long-term acute care facilities, will be approved by the plan as needed.
- All urgent outpatient procedures requiring prior authorization will be approved by the plan as needed.
- Essential medical supplies and equipment for members impacted by the storm will be approved by the plan, as needed.
- Members can use Medicare-certified out-of-network and/or out-of-state providers for medically necessary services.
- Providers, please note that administrative denials for late notification will be waived at this time.
- Medically necessary emergency care will be covered. If you are having an emergency, please call 911 or seek medical attention immediately.
We will provide further information and updates as they become available.
Important numbers and resources:
First Choice VIP Care Plus Member Services: 1-888-978-0862 (TTY 711), 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week.
Nurse Call Line: 1-855-843-1147 (TTY 711), 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week.
First Choice VIP Care Plus Prior Authorization:
For the latest information on Hurricane Florence in our state, please visit the South Carolina Emergency Management Division website at www.scemd.org.